Thursday, October 06, 2005

I'm Baaaaaaaack

Oh, wow, Doran County Park in Sonoma County is really nice! It's on a spit of land about 2 miles long and maybe 200 yards at its widest, that makes up the southern side of Bodega Bay.

One side, the ocean side, is a 2-mile long fine-sand beach (perfect for sand castles) that is completely protected from the ocean surf, with just small waves washing up on shore. The rangers all made of point of saying it's perfect for kids, because there's almost no undertow, and it stays shallow for quite a ways out. These shots were taken the afternoon I arrived.










The other side is Bodega Bay and harbor. It's a lot shallower, more of a dredged estuary at low tide.










These two photos (they're not stitched, but they are side by side, and you can kinda tell how they should overlap) show the southern spit of land that comprises the park, taken from Bodega Head, on the north side of the bay. It's not much, but it's pretty neat.


The weather, as you can see, was just spectacular. Mornings were still and cool, but not cold. Breezes come up in the afternoon as the land heats up and the air rises, drawing in the ocean air, and can get quite chilly, but it was just lovely.

My little tent withstood the winds OK, with just a little bit of re-enforcement needed.









The day I left there was a really high tide, higher than usual I think. The difference in the bay was just amazing.










Seeing as how the sun sets early this time of year, I usually sat up with a fire till about 9:30 or 10pm, then read a book in my tent for a while. I slept in till about 9:30am both mornings, getting up to make a nice cup of hot coffee, then relax and listen to the waves and the seagulls flitting everywhere. It was a nice trip, and I must say, I feel much, much better.

No comments: