Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Trashing the 24-hour News Cycle

I think the 24-hour news cycle is about the worst thing American has ever done to itself. As a result of our never ending thirst for profit, a very smart man tapped a very deep vein of American voyerism and paranoia, and created CNN. I think the creation of CNN was one of the most cruel and mis-guided, if not truly destructive media events in the history of our nation, and quite possibly the world.

Ted Turner truly had a hand in transforming the world. The launch of CNN brought news from around the globe into our homes at all hours of every day. What CNN launched has been imitated and even surpassed by the likes of Foxnews, Skynews, and other news powerhouses around the world. Now, with very few exceptions, many of us welcome crime, disaster, war, politics, terrorism and devastation into our homes on a daily basis.

Very, VERY rarely are the good things in life invited into our homes. Very rarely are the heroic events of everyday life brought to the forefront on our evening news. It's sad to think that the lovely things of life aren't titillating enough to satisfy America's voyeuristic need to see pain and devastation.

Think about it! How many of us, myself included, were watching just a few weeks ago when the airplane with the broken nose wheel landed, live on CNN and Fox, at John Wayne airport here in California. We all cheered when the plane landed without incident, and said "good job" to the pilot, then turned back to whatever diversion was on before. But how many of us were secretly disappointed that the plane didn't burst into flames and wreak havoc at the airport? I'm sure we would have watched longer.

Today, I when I left work, I turned on the radio, and Mike Savage's show was on. I know a lot of people like his show, and that's fine. It's a personal taste thing. But he was just droning on and on about how sheepish the American people are, how Bush is doing the wrong thing, how America is being sold down the river by so and so...... it was just too much.

I turned the radio to The Fish, our local Christian music station, and just let my mind go.

I get so tired of the constant drone about how horrible things are, when outside my window the sun is shining, the weather is nice, and I've had a good day. I know bad things happen, but I'm refuse to allow myself to wallow in garbage I have absolutely nothing to do with. I have my own share of garbage and I'll deal with it, with the help of family and friends, just as people all around the world do.

I think the Apostle Paul had it right, in Philippians 4:8: " whatever things are true, whatever things are honorable, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there be any virtue in them, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

Seems like good advice to me.

No comments: