Sunday, October 03, 2010

The Camping Food Effect

Have you ever noticed how food tastes different when you're away from home?

For instance, years ago my x-wife and I took the girls camping up in the sierras.  The setting was beautiful - cool crisp air, blue skies, and fragrant pine trees all around.  The girls were having a great time.  As we sat down to a dinner of macaroni and cheese with hot dogs, one of the girls chimed in, "Is this regular macaroni and cheese? This can't be regular macaroni and cheese. This stuff is really good! What did you different, mom?"

The answer, of course, is nothing.  It was the same ol' macaroni and cheese the kids always got at home.  The only difference was the surroundings. 

It's an effect my girls and I have come to call the camping food effect.

So, as I sit here quietly in our little cottage in Fort Bragg, the sun is beginning to rise.   The scent of the star jasmine blooming outside wafts in through the open slider and mingles with the aroma of the fresh brewed coffee.  I find the camping food effect in full effectiveness this morning.  

The cup of coffee Alene brought me is just outstanding!  Some fellow at the Yuban coffee factory must have switched the normal Yuban coffee for some sort of  primo blend by accident, put it on a truck bound for Fort Bragg, and as fate would have it, Alene and I found that exact can on the shelves of the grocery store yesterday. 

It's probably Kopi Luwak or some other exotic blend that I would otherwise, in my rather humble life, never hope to experience were it not for that kind, thoughtful person at the Yuban factory who thought of me....little ol' me.... and made this wonderful, out of this world coffee experience possible.  

I think I'm going to cry.

Yup, I just shed a tear. 

Moving on, we had a nice drive from Sacramento, yesterday.  We got into town about 2:30pm, a little bit before check in, so we went to the dog beach and played with Jett a few minutes before going to the store (where that nice man had just then stocked the coffee just for us!), and then headed to the cottage to check in.  

On the door of the cottage was a nice note saying "Welcome Mr. and Mrs. Jones".  We got a good chuckle out of that.  I think that's a bout the 3rd or 4th time in the past few weeks someone has said that to us.

We put away groceries, Alene started dinner, and we had a most wonderful meal outside on the patio deck.  Again, the camping food effect in full gear, I think I had the most delicious tortellini I've had in ages! I wonder if Mr. Alfredo himself made the sauce, because I'm not sure there's ever been such a savory sauce served! 

Ooooo dinner was just so yummy....... oh, and we saw hummingbirds while we were eating too! 

Anyway, we were beat from the day, and went to bed around 7:30, as soon as it was dark up here.  Yeah... 7:30.  Slept 11 hours and up this morning about 7am.  

I think that was some of the best sleep I've ever gotten!  It's like the little sleep angel hovered over me, singing quiet lullabys and .........

Well, everything's better when you're on vacation.   

No comments: