Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Election Day

It's going to be a long night for those of us who are election-news junkies. I'm nervous. Not just for myself, but for the entire country. That's a lot of nervous tension to have, but I think I can bear it.

My fear is that it's not just going to be a long day, but it's going to be a long WEEK until we find out if Dubya will remain our C-in-C, or if Kerry gets the nod. See, we'll get most of the results tonight, then the lawyers will file their motions for voter dis-en-franchisement...

(a term I've come to LOATH because it mainly means, "My side lost because I'm a idiot and couldn't figure out which end of the pencil to use, or the election worker who had the NERVE to ask me for my ID wouldn't take my matricula consular card as proof of ID and the fact that I can vote, and besides he looked at me disrepectfully, and DANG that electronic voting machine shocked me!, and I just don't understand, do I actually have to touch the touch-screen? Did you see the hands of the person who was in this booth before me? ... and just because I'm on parole doesn't give you the right to treat me like a criminal, and now I want a way to legally whine about it to the courts! and if they're in Ohio, of course, they're gonna whine about "where's that crack-cocaine you promised to gimme if I voted for Kerry?!?")

...then Dubya and Kerry will unleash THEIR lawyers on the unsuspecting poor old retired men and women who were elections supervisors for their little bitty precincts, to force them to recount and recount till it's way past their bed time, and what with Rhenquist sick and off the bench, if ANY of this goes to the Supreme Court again, they may well be deadlocked, 4-4, and then the lower court ruling will stand, meaning the next President could be appointed, not by the Supreme Court, but by the 9th District Court of Appeals!! Dear God!! Talk about a nightmare.

BUT, if Kerry and Dubya tie 269-269 in the electoral college (which could happen if the initiative in Colorado is passed, because they'll dole their electoral college votes out based how many votes the candidates got), all HELL will break lose, because then the election would go to the House of Representives for them to elect the president, a process which I doubt more than 2 out of 10 dunderheads in the electorate even KNOW about, much less understand (and it would of course be unfair because the House is currently under Republican control and they'd re-elect Dubya, which would set off a $HIT storm of protest all around the nation, accusing Dubya of stealing not only ONE, but TWO elections!!)......

And all this counts on the elections going relatively smoothly. Lord help us is a bomb goes off someplace. Or some nutball KKK guys actually DOES try to scare black voters away from the polls in some southern state. Or the parolee doesn't get his crack-cocaine. Then, I say bend over and kiss your butt goodbye, cuz it'll be the end of civilization as we know it.

Or not. McDonalds will be serving Big Macs tomorrow, just like today. The mail will be delivered, albeit with a little less junk mail now that the election is over. I'll still have to go to work, unless of course there's a nuclear apocalypse and I have to start delivering the mail my self, ala The Postman. Dang, I'd still be working though. Oh well....

Oh... here's a rundown on my voting suggestions, just in case you haven't voted yet, and need some guidance:
President: Bush/Cheney
California Senator: Bill Jones (and then laugh because he's a lost cause, but I can't stand Boxer)
US Representative 3rd District: Dan Lungren
State Assembly: Roger Neillo
Propositions:
1A - Yes
59 - No (loyal opposition vote)
60 - Yes
60A - Yes
61 - No
62 - HECK No
63 - NO
64 - Yes (I don't like lawyers, so screw 'em)
65 - Yes
66 - Oh, Hell freakin' NO NO NO NO! Am I clear? NO ON PROPOSITION 66!
67 - No
68 - No - Go Arnold!
69 - Yes - I actually want computer chips implanted in ALL felons, but I'll settle for DNA collection.
70 - No - I trust Arnold on this one. I don't want the Lucky Derby down the street from me to have slots!
71 - NO! NO! NO! I'm sorry about your child that has some disease, but California can't afford to shoulder the cost of the cure all by itself. And I refuse to have my tax dollars fund a select few bio-tech firms, and make them rich. This proposition is a perfect example of "the electorate voting themselves money from the public treasury". NO!!!!
72 - No. Back door union organizing scheme.
Measure A - Yes
Measure K - Yes


No comments: