Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Phantom Of The Opera

Saw Phantom of the Opera, the movie, yesterday, with my daughter Lindsey. I wasn't too excited about it. I've never fancied myself a fan of opera, or musicals in general for that matter. Lindsey has been wanting to see it since it came out around Christmas, so since it's free anyway, I decided to take her. She was very excited. I was happy that she was excited, and I was glad to take her. Good deal all the way around.

I'd never seen the play, or read the story, so I didn't really know what the movie was about, except the bare outline we all know, about a guy who falls in love with a lady singer, and then bad things happen. So as I sat down and the movie started, I yawned and settled in for a few hours of mindless escapism.

Two plus hours later I walked out of the theater, absolutely blown away.

Incredible, amazing, fantastic... all good descriptive words, but not good enough for how much I enjoyed myself. Soaring music. Spectacular music! Great, passionate acting. Wonderful cinematography and sets. It is a faithful rendition of Andrew Lloyd Weber's theatrical version. One of the best films I've seen all year, in my opinion.

Truly a must see. A good "date" movie, too.

No comments: