Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Post-u-lates

I'm glad that last topic generated so much debate. I almost deleted it when I wrote it, thinking, naw.... this is stupid. The debate is one of the things I enjoy the most about blogging, so I'm glad that topic worked out.

I've been working a bit of OT lately, and actually, I'm pretty darn tired. I think I've discovered the secret to happiness in life, aside from my faith that is. Its sleep.

Yes, sleep.

I've been pulling some weeks lately where I only get 4-5 hours of sleep, for several nights in a row. It's my own fault, I know, but it happens. Seeing as how I wake up at 4:30am for work, it's hard to get a good night's sleep unless I go to bed at about 9pm, and with kids, that just ain't happening. But I'm finding, as I get...... gasp.... older, the sleep-loss takes a much heavier toll than it used to.

I used to work graveyard shift. Worked it for over 11 years, till about 3-1/2 years ago. I used to be able to come home on the Friday of my work week, stay up all day (who wants to sleep, now that it's the weekend?), and pull a 40 hour day, all awake, with ease. Now... I'm lucky if I make it to 10pm without being just dog tired.

I know it's just me getting a little older, and slowing down some. I'll be 41 next month, after all. And I know that's not OLD by any stretch, but I can sure appreciate that I'm not 21 anymore, ya know?

So, in honor of my new revelation.... I'm off to sleep. Tomorrow is a day off, and as is my custom on Wednesdays, I'm going to go have breakfast with my dad, drink coffee, and, with him, solve all the world's problems during the course of our two hour discussion.

I'll let ya know if the world survives.

No comments: