Friday, April 08, 2005

Speaking of the Weather

What the heck is going on with California weather? In my 40+ years of living here in Sacramento, I've NEVER heard a tornado warning in the Sacramento area, prior to the last 3 years. This year alone we've had 2 of them! Granted, these aren't category-4 twisters we're talking about. More like a few shingles torn off the roof, and maybe a few broken windows on some cars by a category-0 (yes, zero), but still! (Here's a few photos published in the Sacramento Bee from the last warning, back in February. Tornados are small, but very real).

However, my point being..... WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO GET TORNADOS IN SACRAMENTO!

This afternoon about 3pm we had the second tornado warning of the year. The wind was fierce, and the rain and hail was apparently wild in some places, but where I was, in downtown Sacramento... we had blue skies. Not a drop of rain my entire drive home, although there were some nasty looking clouds.

Even had some 14-year old kid call 911, saying he saw a flash, then heard an explosion, and though maybe the sheriff should check it out. It was lightning, kiddo. All good. You're ok.

Go figure. This is why I don't live in the mid-west. I like my weather quiet and predictable.

I can't wait for summer. "Today's forecast... sunny and warm. The five-day forecast... sunny and warm."

No comments: