Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Aging

I have always refused to grow up. I tell my kids I'm probably the oldest teenager they know. I'm definitely their dad, but I sometimes feel not much older then they are. I enjoy some of the same music, the same TV shows, get along well with their friends. I find myself able to connect with teenagers, and not be shut out like an un-cool adult, ya know?

My mental image of myself doesn't fit the mental image I had of my parents when I was a teenager.

But I got a big wake-up call yesterday that there are some area of life where I need to begin acting my age.

I went to the doctor yesterday, to check on what I thought might be a minor ear infection. I get bouts of vertigo on a semi-regular basis, and I had a pretty good bout Saturday night into Sunday morning. Seeing as how I called in sick for work and had to get a doctor's note anyway, I went ahead and had my ears checked, because sometimes an infection is associated with my vertigo. Most usually not, but sometimes.

I walked out of the doctors office about an hour later, my ears just fine, but carrying a prescription for high-blood pressure medication.

Me? I can't have high blood-pressure.

I'm not that old!

What's that you say doc? I'm right at the age where high blood pressure begins to show itself? What the heck age is that? Middle aged?
But I'm not that old! I'm only 41!

Oh, wait... 41 is middle aged, isn't it? Sigh. I hate that.

My bp was 148/82, not exactly sky high. The doc wasn't really very concerned over it, and to be honest, neither am I. I feel the same today as I did yesterday, but... as the doc put it, it's a risk factor that I should watch and take care of since I'm aware of it.

The doc said they used to called my bp range "mild high blood-pressure" but they don't call it that anymore, because people seem to think anything with the name "mild" can't be important, and people wouldn't take it seriously. And they're right.

So... I guess I have to face up to the fact that I'm not actually a teenager anymore, dang it. I'm not gonna get suddenly old or anything, but I do need to acknowledge the truth, and start taking better care of myself. If not for myself, then for my kids, and grandkids I hope they give me one day.

Can you just see me, 80 years old, button down blue shirt, green shorts, white socks pulled up to my knees, and black hush-puppies?

No comments: