Friday, August 20, 2004

Children.... Argh!

Why do kids hate to do homework? I don't remember hating to DO homework, just remember not having much. Argh.... school starts Monday and I can already tell this year is going to be a battle with Lindsey. I don't want it to be a battle, but I need to figure out what motivates her. She is the most enigmatic teenager I've ever met. Not a bad teenager: in fact, she is a an absolute joy to have around. She's intelligent, well spoken, crazy cute (yeah, yeah, I'm her dad, but I know cute when I see it), and so well behaved.

She just hates school work. Sees no point in it. Thinks it's all stupid. I remember that those were revolutionary, world-shaking concepts when I had them back in high school, too. I was certain no one else had looked at life and schoolwork quite the same way I had. I was on the cutting edge of new thinking.

Sigh... I'm sure about every kid has come to the conclusion that school work has no application in real life, therefore it's stupid to do it. She'll get over it, I'm sure, but I can't just look the other way while she figures things out. That's part of my job, to help her figure things out. Hopefully, she'll let me do that, and not be resentful. I love her so much. I want what every parent wants for their kid: be happy and successful.

I was looking at the KCRA TV website today, and came across this story about a drunken bear.

I thought it was pretty funny.

Also, if you take a visit to the KCRA website, take a look at Deidre Fitzpatrick's daily journal from the 2004 Olympics in Athens. I know she's got an entire TV station to promote her, but she's actually pretty interesting and has some neat behind-the-scene insights.

No comments: